[vpn-help] No traffic thru my tap0 device

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Fri Dec 3 16:24:33 CST 2010

On 11/21/2010 5:05 PM, Dick Kniep wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I am trying to setup a VPN using Shrewsoft. The tunnel seems to come up
> properly ( no errors), but no traffic passes thru the tunnel. When I use
> tcpdump, it seems that the traffic is still going thru eth0 and not thru
> tap0. I have edited sysctl for the rp_filter values, and I do get some
> errors here, but I don't think it has anything to do with my problem.
>
> sudo sysctl -a | grep rp_filter | grep -v arp
> [sudo] password for dick:
> error: "Invalid argument" reading key "fs.binfmt_misc.register"
> error: "Invalid argument" reading key "dev.parport.parport0.autoprobe"
> error: "Invalid argument" reading key "dev.parport.parport0.autoprobe0"
> error: "Invalid argument" reading key "dev.parport.parport0.autoprobe1"
> error: "Invalid argument" reading key "dev.parport.parport0.autoprobe2"
> error: "Invalid argument" reading key "dev.parport.parport0.autoprobe3"
> error: permission denied on key 'net.ipv4.route.flush'
> error: permission denied on key 'net.ipv6.route.flush'
> net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 0
> net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 0
> net.ipv4.conf.lo.rp_filter = 0
> net.ipv4.conf.eth0.rp_filter = 0
> net.ipv4.conf.tap0.rp_filter = 0
>
> Can anybody help here?

My guess is that the client doesn't have the correct security policies
installed to match your traffic. I'm not sure what kind of gateway you
use, but only a small portion actually pass this information to the
client automatically. In most cases, you have to add topology entries
under the policy tab in the site configuration. These must match what is
configured on the gateway exactly or there will be issues.