[vpn-help] Totally confused - Symantic VPN

Michael Savage msavageca at yahoo.ca
Sun Dec 5 21:35:50 CST 2010

I have a need for the 64 bit to work with a symantic device... They only
made XP drivers for it and because of its age, will not upgrade the
software to work in 64 bit windows.

Any ways, the settings for it are not named like yours, so I'm kind of
looking for a translation so that I might put the names in the right place.

1. The setup is done via a number of tabs... However we only use the
main tab "Gateway" for the configuration.
Picking this tab. Brings another screen with 3 tabs.

This is how it is configured.
a. Gateway - This first tab. Has the ip address field, ie xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,
     - a check box, Download VPN Policy, checked
     - b Shared Secret ********************************** (a string I
entered)
     - c Client Phase 1 ID xxxxxxx (a string I entered)
b. Advanced - the second tab.
     - Gateway Phase 1 ID - xxxxxx (a string I entered)
     - Then an area that says Policy summary - which lists the following
     Data Integrity, Data Privacy, Diffe Hellman all set to any, and
time out:1080 minutes.
c. Tunnels - 3rd tab - nothing is configured here.

We have left all other settings to their default values...
IKE, VPN Polices - STRONG,
Port Control - Restricted + recent calls
Enabled Ports -isakmp (500) UDP

That's it. This client works with their hardware, no problem in Windows
XP Pro (32 Bit)

How do I transfer the above termonlogy to your product.. ie where do i
put the above three keys???

Does any of the above make any sense to anyone?

TIA,
Mike