[vpn-help] Gateway Authentication Error - Windows 7

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Mon Feb 8 23:30:28 CST 2010

On 1/19/2010 3:26 PM, Alan Chapple wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I am using Shrewsoft Client 2.1.6 RC3. When attempting a connection from
> a Windows 7 machine to a NetBSD gateway running Raccoon, I receive a
> "gateway autentication error". I do not receive this using XP. I tried
> to run the Trace Utility as instructed in some previous posts, but that
> doesn't even seem to connect to the services at all. I can't stop the
> IKE service as directed - the stop button is not even activated.
>
> I tried running the client in XP compatibility mode, but no difference.
>
> I wonder if anyone can assist?

Did you have a look at the debug level log output in the VPN Trace
application? Are you using the same version of the Shrew Soft VPN client
on your Windows XP system? If your using an RSA based auth method, I
just posted a 2.1.6 beta 4 that contains a fix for some certificate
authentication problems.