[vpn-help] Linux clients connect, no traffic passes.

Jason Norman jnorman at ticom-geo.com
Sat Feb 6 12:45:03 CST 2010

Using a few different releases of Ubuntu (some 8.x and some 9.x and a couple of 9.10), and three different versions of the Shrew Sift client (2.1.5, 2.1.6 beta, and 2.2 alpha), I get the following behavior connecting to a Juniper SSG-350:

Tunnel connects and is established, but no traffic passes over the interfaces. No internet traffic, no VPN traffic, nothing.

Running tcpdump on both eth0 (or ath0 depending) tap0 shows zero packets.

The config file being used works on Windows ShrewSoft 2.1.5 clients, and was exported from a working windows system. I've also tried re-creating the config by hand. Parameters are pretty basic, and identical parameters work on the windows clients using 2.1.5. As a data point, Mac systems connecting with IPSecuritas connect using the same parameters. My Linux users are the only folks unable to connect.

I've noticed the windows clients have some extra options vs the linux systems. We may be relying on an option in the windows clients that isn't available on the linux systems....

Just curious what we might be missing? I can post debug logs (sanitized) or a config (also sanitized) as needed.