[vpn-help] Problem with Installing Shrew 2.1.6b4 on Win7 64bit

Jacob Towns jacob.extracurricular at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 23:52:26 CST 2010

Howdy,

After installing the Shrew Soft VPN Client 2.1.6 beta 4 onto my PC running
Windows 7 64-bit, I restarted, and imported a .pcf file from a different
computer with a cisco client set up. This went fine, but

Problem:
when I tried to connect it never got past "Failed to attach to key daemon."
Even after multiple restarts. Also, I tried to run the trace utility (as
administrator) and the buttons stayed grayed out.

Temporary Solution:
I uninstalled this client and installed the 2.1.5 client and now everything
works well- couple hours now and VPN connection working.  I still have not
tried to use the trace program on this install because there has been no
need.

Possible Cause:
One thing I did notice that was different between the install process was
2.1.5 installed (I believe) 2 drivers, and I do not recall the 2.1.6 beta 4
installer installing any.  Let me know how I can help more!

Jacob