[vpn-help] Windows 7 and Cisco ASA/PIX

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Mon Feb 8 23:53:52 CST 2010

On 1/25/2010 5:44 AM, Dave Roberts wrote:
> Hello again,
>
>  From this site and from other internet searches, it seems that this is
> a very common problem, though described in many ways.
>
> So my question has to be:
>
> Has anyone got Shrew Soft VPN Client to work from Win7 (64 bit or even
> 32 bit) to a PIX (preferably 515)?
>
>  From where I sit, this is the tip of an iceberg. None of my customers
> have wanted to change to Vista from XP(32bit).
>
> Many have considerable investment in PIX hardware - 10's of 1000's of $.
>
> They are beginning to call for more powerful portable machines.
>
> The last time I tried it, the NCP client worked fine but at GBP 65-100,
> depending on quantity and taxes....
>
> At a break point around 20-30 users, it would be more economical to
> change the PIXs to ASAs.
>
> And at least two of them cannot justify that sort of expenditure.
>
> Best regards to all, Dave

Hi Dave,

The Shrew Soft client is compatible with PIX and ASAs. However, there
are some edge cases where it won't work. If you have an exotic user
authentication scheme, you may run into issues. If you need support for
IPsec over TCP, it won't work. You may have to tinker with the site
configuration a bit, but the Shrew Soft client should work in almost all
other cases. However, we are still ironing out some issues with IOS and
older 3000 concentrators.