[vpn-help] Shrew on new Ubuntu - Failed to Load

Jim Campbell jimc6137a at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 17 15:45:33 CST 2010

I had a client ask if I could find a way to allow him to VPN with his Ubuntu client.  I have installed a fresh install of Ubuntu on a VMware workstation virtual machine to test.  I installed the Shrew client as per the readme instructions.  After that, I tried both importing the same policy I had used for the windows version of the client and recreating it from scratch with the client in /usr/bin/ikea.  In both cases, the only response i got was "Failed to Load" followed by the name I had assigned the connection.  I attempted to run the /usr/bin/iked daemon after copying the sample iked.conf file to /etc and try again with the ikea client but with the same results.

The only entry in the /var/log/iked.log is

10/02/17 15:12:58 ## : IKE Daemon, ver 2.1.5
10/02/17 15:12:58 ## : Copyright 2009 Shrew Soft Inc.
10/02/17 15:12:58 ## : This product linked OpenSSL 0.9.8g 19 Oct 2007
10/02/17 15:12:58 K! : recv X_SPDDUMP message failure ( errno = 2 )

I'm assuming I'm missing something fundamental given the lack of error messages so I'm thinking that poring through the manual pages is not going to help.  I have not used linux in some time and am probably missing something simple.  Google produced only one similar error from an earlier post on this mailing list but none of the problems in the post seemed relevant.