[vpn-help] "Silent" client failure

Tim Mensch tim-shrewsoft at bitgems.com
Thu Feb 25 16:14:38 CST 2010

I'm using the ShrewSoft client to connect to my work VPN. I don't have
the specifics of the work VPN configuration, but I can get them if I need.

The problem I'm having seems to be on the client side, though, in that
no log or warning messages appear on the VPN server (I checked with IT
about this issue once, and they didn't have any idea why it would be
failing--and the log showed nothing for my client until I disconnected).

What happens is this: After some period of time, my active connection to
the VPN will no longer work. If I try to go to any web site, it will
time out, whether its a VPN-based site or not (all my traffic ends up
routed through the VPN). There is no indication in the client that the
connection isn't functioning, nor as I mentioned is there any indication
on the server.

Closing the connection and reopening it doesn't help. Killing ALL the
ShrewSoft services and restarting them sometimes helps; occasionally one
will get into a state where I can't kill it, and under those
circumstances it sometimes won't work to restart the services. But even
then, sometimes it will.

After killing and restarting the services, I can then (usually) make a
connection that will actually forward packets, at which point everything
works for a while again for anywhere from a half hour to 8+ hours. I
haven't found a particular pattern in when it fails. Another fun fact: I
can stop and restart each of the services independently, and it doesn't
seem to fix the issue. It seems I have to kill all three and restart
them all in order for it to work; I haven't tried the various
permutations of just two of them, though.

I'm on Windows 7 x64, and I'm behind a NAT firewall. I've reproduced
this issue on two different client systems (the other system is the one
that BSODs after running the client for a while, even on 2.1.6 beta 3,
so I'm sticking with my laptop for now). I've tried 2.1.5 and each of
the 2.1.6 betas as they've been released; all have identical behavior.
Currently I'm on 2.1.6 beta 4. To be clear: The VPN normally works fine
for hours at a time.

I finally managed to run the trace utility, and when in a bad state the
log below is what I see: Some of these IP addresses are on the VPN, like
192.168.253.51, which is the DNS server on my office LAN. This log
continued with similar messages until I killed the process and
restarted. After which point, VPN addresses would show "policy found" in
the log. I can post parts of that log as well, but it seems less likely
to be of use.

It looks to me like the IPSEC service is losing its policy definitions.
If so, how could that be happening, and is it something that I can
prevent? Or if that doesn't make sense, then what do you think might be
going on here? I can involve IT if you need any specific configuration
questions answered, but I thought I'd throw it out there with this much
information to see if it was enough to clue you in to what's going wrong.

Thoughts?

Tim

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4896 (20100225) __________

http://www.eset.com