[vpn-help] DNS fails any time proxy is running even if notconnected

Linwood Ferguson lferguson at thenewsgroup.com
Tue Feb 9 04:31:50 CST 2010

If
>> I re-enable it then it fails. Disable works. I've tried both 2.1.5
and
>> the new beta 3, same behavior. The disabled adapter remains disabled
on
>> a reboot, so it continues to work after reboots.
>>
>> Uninstalling the adapter does NOT fix it but momentarily, as it will
be
>> recreated as soon as windows scans for hardware changes.
>>
>> I have no explanation why this began failing suddenly after working
for
>> almost a month. But it certainly appears to be fix it when it is
disabled.

>> Hope it helps someone, and maybe a clue for a software fix one day.
>>

>When you say you disabled the second virtual adapter, do you mean the
>wifi virtual adapter not a second shrew soft virtual adapter. Correct?

The adapter appears as "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter"
possibly with a "#2" or "#3" after it.

When that adapter exists and is enabled this problem occurs sometimes.

I have also found that I have trouble when I have a wired connection,
but the Wifi adapter (the physical one not the above virtual) is enabled
and connected at the same time.  After running a while, Shrew's VPN
connection stops working (but does not drop).  No obvious cause, but if
I disable the physical WiFi connection (with the wired connection going)
connectivity is restored.

It is really as though some aspect of the VPN process is confused when
there is more than one available adapter.  But not always, and not for
any obvious cause.  This latter happened to me twice yesterday over
about 12 hours of use.  The first time I rebooted to make it go away,
the second time I experimented until I fixed connectivity by disabling
the physical Wifi connection leaving just the wired.

The Wired/Wifi problem is not consistent -- I have run for days without
problems with the Wifi alive.  But yesterday it happened twice.

So far it has been perfectly solid whenever the machine has exactly one
enabled network adapter.

Thanks for the work on this.

Linwood

PS. As to the "unable to suspend" problem, I have seen that as well, not
consistently.  And like others, if I drop the connection first it works
fine.