[vpn-help] Netscreen 10 VPN

Mark A. DeMichele demi at intellipro.com
Sat Jan 2 11:38:42 CST 2010

I'm trying to connect to my Netscreen 10 VPN running  software version
3.0.1r7.0.  I know the shrew documentation states you need 5.4+, but I
was hoping that I would get lucky since I have a simple setup.  I'm
using  a pre-shared key and everything is set manually.  My client is on
Windows 7.  I used to use Netscreen Remote, but that doesn't work in
Windows 7 so I was hoping to use the Shrew Soft VPN instead.

The problem I see right now is that I'm not getting a response from
Phase 1.  I temporarily turned off the Windows 7 firewall thinking that
was the problem, but that didn't help.  I am behind a cable modem
router, I'm not sure if I need to do anything there.  When I was running
XP and Vista, I didn't need to do anything special when running
Netscreen Remote.  Maybe it's different for this client.  Attached is my
IKE debug log.

Let me know if this is even possible.  I believe that 3.0.1r7.0 is the
latest OS I can run on a Netscreen 10.

Thanks,

Mark DeMichele