[vpn-help] DNS problem

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Tue Jan 5 17:51:30 CST 2010

On 12/21/2009 1:10 PM, Steve Flesher-Clark wrote:
> All,
>
> I wonder if someone could help me?
>
> I have recently installed Shrew v 2.1.5 on a Windows 7 64 bit machine. I
> have imported a Cisco .pcf file and have managed to connect to the remote
> host. The connection "seems" to be made correctly.
>
> However, when the tunnel is enabled, DNS names are not resolved. This is the
> output from ipconfig:
>
> This is the output from nslookup (for a name which should be resolved):
>
> Here is how I have set-up the name resolution:
>
> Does anyone have any tips for me?
>
> Thank you in advance for your trouble.

Steve,

Does the Cisco gateway provide tunnel specific DNS servers? If so, you
should be negotiating a policy that matches the network that the DNS
server resides in. My guess is that you are being provided DNS servers
but they reside in a remote network that can't be reached for some
reason. Can you ping the DNS servers you see assigned to the Virtual
Adapter via "ipconfig /all"?