[vpn-help] XP64 Virtual Adapter will not install

Jeff Haferman jeff at haferman.com
Sat Jan 9 12:52:32 CST 2010

I tried to install vpn-client-2.1.5-release and I got
Error 0x8004a029: Couldn't install the network component
(similar to the thread at http://lists.shrew.net/pipermail/vpn-help/2009-November/002403.html)
and and continued the install and had a problem installing the virutal adapter

So I un-installed and installed vpn-client-2.1.6-beta-3, I get past the network component
install but still have a problem installing the virtual adapter.  I've
uninstalled, rebooted, deleted ndis.sys and vfilter.sys from
windows\system32\drivers, repeated several times and still can't get
the virtual adapter to install.

This happens during the "Installing Network Device" portion of the install, I get an
error box titled "Device Add Failure" with a message
InstallSelectedDriver failer, error code = 0x00000006.

The installation completes, and I can start the VPN client, import a .pcf file, but
when I try to connect I get "bringing up tunnel", "network unvailable" and the Windows
new hardware wizard pops up....

The new hardware wizard tries to install the "Shrew Soft Virtual Adapter", but if fails
with a message "The System Cannot Find the File Specified".... I've also manually pointed
the installer to the ShrewSoft driver directory but still get the same error.

I do have an error in the system event viewer under DCOM that says
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{BA126AD1-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}
 to the user NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE SID (S-1-5-20).  This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

I found something in the microsoft KB at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899965
that is related, I will try out the suggestions and see if it helps.

Other advice would be appreciated.