[vpn-help] Netscreen 10 VPN

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Tue Jan 5 18:39:23 CST 2010

On 1/2/2010 11:38 AM, Mark A. DeMichele wrote:
> I’m trying to connect to my Netscreen 10 VPN running  software version
> 3.0.1r7.0. I know the shrew documentation states you need 5.4+, but I
> was hoping that I would get lucky since I have a simple setup. I’m using
> a pre-shared key and everything is set manually. My client is on Windows
> 7. I used to use Netscreen Remote, but that doesn’t work in Windows 7 so
> I was hoping to use the Shrew Soft VPN instead.
>
> The problem I see right now is that I’m not getting a response from
> Phase 1. I temporarily turned off the Windows 7 firewall thinking that
> was the problem, but that didn’t help. I am behind a cable modem router,
> I’m not sure if I need to do anything there. When I was running XP and
> Vista, I didn’t need to do anything special when running Netscreen
> Remote. Maybe it’s different for this client. Attached is my IKE debug log.
>
> Let me know if this is even possible. I believe that 3.0.1r7.0 is the
> latest OS I can run on a Netscreen 10.

Mark,

Its difficult to even guess considering the gateway isn't responding at
all. Have you looked at the Netscreen 10 log output so see what it says
about the failed connection attempt? Your authentication and possibly
your phase1 parameters must match the parameters configured on your
gateway. I assume there is a mismatch and the Netscreen is rejecting it.