[vpn-help] Conflict between ShrewSoft VPN Client and VirtualBox

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Tue Jan 5 18:55:05 CST 2010

On 1/4/2010 12:28 PM, Alexis Bilodeau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed VPN Client v2.1.6 on a Windows 7 x64 machine that also have
> VirtualBox 3.1.2 installed.
>
> The VPN worked right after the installation, but after my computer
> rebooted I lost the dns (which is, I could access the internet but no
> name resolving). A few trials and errors shown that stopping the
> ShrewSoft DNS Proxy Daemon fixed the problem. Obviously, stopping this
> service every time I disconnect from the VPN isn't very practical.
>
> I later found that uninstalling VirtualBox fixed it completely, I do not
> have to stop the DNS Proxy service to get a fully functionnal internet
> access.
>
> There seem to be a conflict between those two, what do you think?

The Shrew Soft VPN client proxies all DNS traffic unless you shut down
the ShrewSoft Transparent DNS Proxy service. Apparently, its not as
transparent as it should be when VMWare/VirtualBox/etc is being used.
However, unless you are using Split DNS then you can leave the proxy
service disabled completely. I have some ideas on how to fix this but
haven't had time to attempt it yet.

Hope this helps,