[vpn-help] 2.1.5 -> 2.1.6b10 -- Connection silently dies after 5 minutes

Aaron Sarazan aaron.sarazan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 08:01:26 CDT 2010

This is an old problem that plagues my Win7-64 machine with all client
versions, but doesn't seem to even affect my Ubuntu machine (or any
coworkers' machines for that matter).

I'll successfully connect to the gateway, ping inside the network, and all
is happy. After about five minutes, the connection will silently fail and
pings will time out. According to the "Network" tab, it is still
established, and the trace utility doesn't show anything but a bunch of
keep-alives for phase 1:

10/07/07 08:53:59 DB : phase1 found
10/07/07 08:53:59 -> : send NAT-T:KEEP-ALIVE packet 192.168.2.101:4500 ->
98.101.134.218:4500

Also the "VPN Connection Status" on the Netgear admin page lists it as
"IPsec SA Established". The connection won't return until I do a manual
disconnect/reconnect.

On a possibly related note, it's listing Dead Peer Detection as disabled,
even though I've enabled it on both the client and server side. Any thoughts
on that?