[vpn-help] VPN connects but no access

Eric Koegler eric_koegler at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 12:42:14 CDT 2010

I can successfully VPN into my work network through my home LAN, home WLAN and
work WLAN, but it doesn't work at some public WLANs (e.g., public wi-fi spots).

I'm using Shrew Soft VPN Client 2.1.6 beta 10 on Windows 7.  I don't know about
the gateway.

At these public WLANs, I'm able to connect (without VPN) to public resources
just fine.  When I launch Shrew Soft VPN client and attempt to connect,
everything looks fine.  I'm able to get through what I believe is called Phase
1.

bringing up tunnel ...
network device configured
tunnel enabled

But at that point, I can't get to web sites (via URL or IP address) or ping IP
addresses on the internet or on our internal work network.

I tried disabling the ShrewSoft DNS Proxy Daemon, but that didn't help.  I don't
seem to have a Microsoft Virtual WiFI MiniPort Adapter.  I changed some of the
profile phase 2 settings, including PFS Exchange to group 2 and disabled.  I've
had this problem several releases, including 2.1.5 stable, 2.1.6 beta 8 and
2.1.6 beta 10.  But nothing seems to help.  Ideas?  Thanks.

(My memory might be playing tricks on me, but it seems like the this particular
wi-fi access point used to work for me 6 months ago.  I'm not certain, nor am I
certain what may have changed (OS, client, gateway, access-point).)

--Eric