[vpn-help] VPN client not supporting DHCP on host ?

Robert Grasso robert.grasso at modulonet.fr
Sat Jul 31 18:41:06 CDT 2010

Hello,

I have been using this client for a while on my home desktop (configuration specs below), in order to connect onto a Fortigate : so far so good. Now I am trying to prepare a netbook for travelling : if its adress is dynamic, the tunnel does not establish, and I get in iked.log :

"10/08/01 01:10:53 !! : failed to bind DHCP socket"

My configuration :
---------------------------

home desktop :
------------------------
x86_64
fixed IP adress, behind my home firewall
Ubuntu 10.04 currently

with

( from
http://lists.shrew.net/mailman/htdig/vpn-help/2008-November/001827.html)

root at power4:/etc# sysctl -a | grep rp_filter | grep -v arp
error: "Invalid argument" reading key "fs.binfmt_misc.register"
error: permission denied on key 'net.ipv4.route.flush'
error: permission denied on key 'net.ipv6.route.flush'
net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 0
net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 0
net.ipv4.conf.lo.rp_filter = 0
net.ipv4.conf.eth0.rp_filter = 0
net.ipv4.conf.vboxnet0.rp_filter = 0
net.ipv4.conf.vbox0.rp_filter = 0
net.ipv4.conf.vbox1.rp_filter = 0
net.ipv4.conf.vbox2.rp_filter = 0
net.ipv4.conf.vbox3.rp_filter = 0

Netbook:
-------------
Ubuntu 10.04
adress got through DHCP

I performed the same tests into Ubuntu 10.04 virtual machines, just to be sure : I confirm that I have the issue in the VM as well.

I configured the Shrew Soft client using the page :

http://www.shrew.net/support/wiki/HowtoFortigate

Can anybody help me ?

Best regards

--