[vpn-help] 2- Shrew 2.5.1 and Draytek Vigor 2710 VPN

kevin shrew-vpn klmlk at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 26 14:35:18 CDT 2010

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 21:12:20 +0200
"Karnin" <karnin at turboprinz.de> wrote:

> Dear Kevin,
> thanks for advice, but IP adresses and subnet are definitely adjusted.
> L2TP/Ipsec with generic WinXP or Drayteks's VPN SmartClient-4.0.0.1
> are working, so there must be an issue with Shrew 2.1.5.
> As describben there are sometimes one positiv 'Ping', but later on
> only time outs....
> Linux system in host subnet seems to be not affected (Synology-NAS,
> router itself, ThinClient), only the Windows systems!?

Hi Christoph,

The fact that it works using generic WinXP and Draytek's client further
suggests as you say that the problem is with the Shrew client config.
Without adding 192.168.215.0/255.255.255.0 to the policy I don't think
Shrew will know that traffic for 192.168.215.0 should be sent through
the tunnel.

If that does not work, can you provide us with a trace from the Shrew
client? On Windows Vista or Windows 7, remember to right-click on the
Trace Utility and select "run as Administrator" in order for it to
work. See this link for instructions:
http://www.shrew.net/support/wiki/BugReportVpnWindows

There is also a release candidate for version 2.1.6 of the Shrew client
that has several fixes, you may also want to try that.