[vpn-help] Problem using Shrew Soft with USB broadband

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Fri Jul 30 01:26:14 CDT 2010

On 7/29/2010 1:51 AM, Sin Hoe Yap wrote:
> Hi,
> Attached herewith is the iked.log.
> Problem:
> VPN tunnel cannot establish with error message "Negiotiation Timeout
> Occurred". The problem only exist when using HSDPA modem connection
> (Huawei model e1550) on Windows 7. The VPN client is working fine with
> wired/wireless connection with any Windows OS.
> To Reproduce:
> Connect to Juniper SSG350 firewall.
> VPN client: Shrew Soft 2.1.6 RC1
> Windows OS: Windows 7
> Gateway: Juniper SSG350
> Gateway version: 6.1.0 R2
> Connection to internet: USB broadband, HSDPA modem (Huawei e1550)
> Please help.

It certainly looks as if the client is attempting to send packets, but
they aren't making it to the gateway. I have two mobile broadband USB
devices I use to test the VPN client. The first is an AT&T Mercury and
the other is a Cricket UM185C. Both work properly.

Have you tried looking for updated drivers for your adapter? That has
helped others in the past. If the Shrew Soft LWF driver is present on
the adapter properties page, it should work.