[vpn-help] Fwd: Re: Starting the GUI

Albrecht Mehl mehl at freunde.tu-darmstadt.de
Mon Mar 15 04:34:20 CDT 2010

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: Re: [vpn-help] Starting the GUI
Datum: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 08:15:05 +0100
Von: Albrecht Mehl <mehl at freunde.tu-darmstadt.de>
An: Matthew Grooms <mgrooms at shrew.net>

Dear Mr. Grooms,

thank you for your response.

Am 15.03.2010 03:25, schrieb Matthew Grooms:
> On 3/13/2010 1:02 AM, Albrecht Mehl wrote:
>> With opensuse Linux 11.2 I installed the vpn client
>> which seems to have been successful. But ... either because your
>> documentation is too sparse or because I am looking at the wrong places
>> I cannot get the GUI running to insert the profil already provided by
>> the intended host:
>>
>> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>>
>> 001109ea63a6:/home/am/internet/shrewvpn/ike/script # ./iked -F
>>
>> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>>
>> With or without the -F switch there is an immediate return to the
>> console prompt.
>>
>> I thereforwould be most grateful to get a hint on how
>>
>>    - to get the GUI running and to import the profil
>>    - to get the connection to the host
>>
>> Please bear with me for these questions perhaps a bit trivial.
>>

>  From the sparse documentation ...

> USAGE
>
> The main process that handles IKE negotiations is iked and must be run
> as root.
> By default, it will detach itself from the terminal and execute as a
> daemon. To
> force foreground operation, use the -F switch. A sample configuration
> file is
> included in this distribution and will be installed in the etc system
> configuration directory. The configuration should be suitable to allow for
> client operation but can also be modified to allow for site to site or
> client
> gateway operation as well. See the iked.conf man page for more details.
>
> Once the iked process has been launched, the VPN Access Manager application
> ( ikea ) is used to build remote access client configurations and initiate
> client connections. When the Access Manager GUI is used to initiate a client
> connection, a VPN Connect application ( ikec ) process is created. This
> process
> interacts with iked to initiate the connection. Please see the online
> documentation available at http://www.shrew.net for more details.

> EXPORTED CONFIGURATION FILES
>
> A site configuration contains all the data required to connect to a site
> using
> the VPN client tools. These configuration files can be exported or imported
> using the VPN Access Manager application. The file format used to
> describe the
> site configuration is a text ducument that contains one attribute per
> line with
> one or more attribute values. The attribute type is denoted by a single
> charachter field followed by the attribute name field and then by a
> value. The
> fields are separated using a colon charachter. For example, the
> following line
> describes a string attribute names network-host with a value of 10.1.1.1

Unfortunately this does not help as I had read this already before
trying to start the GUI of the client.  As you can read in the lines
above where I described my unsuccessful attempts to get the vpn client
running I used the demon with and without the -F switch which was
followed by the immediate return to the prompt. There was no GUI
visible, just the prompt.

Since I apparently know too few about the client I would be most
grateful to get a command by command instruction on how to get the GUI
running in order to import the profile provided by the intended host.

A. Mehl
--
Albrecht Mehl	    |
Schorlemmerstr. 33  |Tel. (06151) 37 39 92