[vpn-help] Netgear FVG318

Tilman tilman78 at gmx.de
Wed May 12 07:16:29 CDT 2010

Thank you very much for providing this VPN client!

I have a Netgear FVG318. I hope I have done my homework .. I searched the list archive, there was only one unanswered email about this device.

Has some successfully connected to this Netgear gateway? The HowToNetgear article http://www.shrew.net/support/wiki/HowtoNetgear is for other Netgear VPN Gateways that support Mode Config. The FVG318 does not have a Mode Config option.

Trying to connect to this gateway the device is logging as final error:
Invalid exchange type 6

Google-researching it seems that this message has to do with Mode Config. I found this email from 2006, mentioning how to make sure not to use any Mode Config features with the Shrew Client:
http://lists.shrew.net/pipermail/vpn-help/2006-October/000610.html

I tried disabling all these, but am still getting the same error message on the gateway.

Any advice on how (and if it is possible at all) to connect to the FVG318 would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Tilman