[vpn-help] Need to restart Shrewsoft IKE Daemon

Linwood Ferguson lferguson at thenewsgroup.com
Fri May 28 05:55:41 CDT 2010

I've been having an ongoing problem with 2.1.6 beta 7 on Windows 7 / 64 Ultimate.  Periodically it stops passing traffic, sounds somewhat similar to some of the other postings.  I am connecting to VPN concentrators using an old Cisco VPN PCF.

Disconnecting and reconnecting does not work (but it does reconnect, generally).

I originally just rebooted - this happened maybe once every day or two, not a big deal.  Then decided to experiment, so have been selectively trying to restart services.  If I do them all, it starts working again fine.  I've narrowed it down, I think, to the IKE Daemon service.  When this occurs, if I stop and restart that service, then reconnect, everything is fine.

I'm not quite sure what other info may be helpful, the debug information is not meaningful to me, the simple things like IPCONFIG/ALL and routing table all look the same before and after, just no traffic gets through.

Offered in the FWIW department, and/or if someone has ideas how to get more info.

Linwood Ferguson

PS. In case it is also a symptom, frequently the service (notably this one) do not do a RESTART cleanly.  They time out, give a "could not" error, but are then stopped, and can be started manually.  Some kind of misbehavior when the service control manager tells it to stop, I think.