[vpn-help] VPN not passing traffic using Shrew Client

kevin shrew-vpn klmlk at hotmail.com
Sun May 9 10:27:48 CDT 2010

On Sun, 09 May 2010 10:12:12 -0400
mikelupo at aol.com wrote:

> I am running Shrew Client (2.1.5) on Windows XP connecting to a
> Netgear VPN Prosafe FVS318G at a remote site. I have configured the
> client according to Shrew's "How-To" for a similar model Netgear
> Prosafe VPNs.
>
> The Tunnel connection succeeds and I can see in the VPN log (on the
> prosafe router) that the SA Connection is also established
> successfully. On the VPN client side the Shrewsoft VPN trace output
> shows that the SA is Mature. The problem is that when I ping the VPN
> router's LAN address (192.168.1.1) ping returns no hits. Essentially
> the packets are being dropped.

Hi Mike, I can think of two reasons it might not work.

First, since your VPN gateway uses private addresses 192.168.1.1, is it possible
that you have overlapping private subnets at both ends of the tunnel?
Try to change one of your address ranges if they are overlapping.

Secondly, in Shrew 2.1.5, if you configure the Policy such that the VPN
gateway IP is in the tunnel range, Shrew will try to tunnel the traffic
destined for the gateway IP.  The later betas of 2.1.6 resolve this
issue.