[vpn-help] Not passing SA traffic from VPN to Client.

kevin shrew-vpn klmlk at hotmail.com
Wed May 19 20:34:14 CDT 2010

On Wed, 19 May 2010 20:29:08 -0400
mikelupo at aol.com wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> VPN = Netgear FVS318G. Shrew Client v 2.1.6 running on Windows XP SP3.
> Does this log output scream anything that I've done incorrectly? This
> was previously working with no changes made to either client or VPN
> Router. I'm a bit baffled.
>
> VPN Trace:
> The SP tab looks good. The SA tab shows traffic from client to router
> but there's 0 bytes from Router to Client. The IP address of the
> Remote LAN is 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0. The Mode config DHCP range
> is in the 192.168.2.x subnet 255.255.255.0. The Local LAN is
> 10.0.0.x/255.255.255.0 subnet.

This is a shot in the dark, but I saw something like that (bytes out,
but no bytes in) in a situation where the Shrew VPN was running in a
XP guest VMware VM (bridged networking) and the host OS (Vista) had
another VPN client installed. It seemed like the VPN shim for the host
OS was intercepting the IPsec packets destined for the guest OS. As
soon as I removed the VPN client from the host, Shrew started to work
in the guest.