[vpn-help] 3G/UMTS problem

Lars Vik lars at 3056.net
Fri May 21 06:13:34 CDT 2010

Hi Stian,

The culprits are endless, but my guess is that your DNS is set to only
answer recursive requests from private IP-ranges, i.e. 192.168.0.0/16,
172.16.0.0/12 and 10.0.0.0/8, in other words, non-world-routable
IP-ranges for security reasons. Depending on your VPN-gateway you can
also(as an alternative) set the LAN-IP of the firewall as DNS-server, or
another DNS-proxy in the remote LAN.

This is also, I think, the reason why it worked when you connected via
WLAN and not 3G/UMTS, since you (the Shrew adapter) probably had a
private IP-address when connecting via WLAN, but a public IP when
connecting via 3G/UMTS, but I am just guessing.

Personally I think it is best to use virtual adapter with a private IP
since you then always know what IP-address you have when browsing remote
LANs. This gives you lot better options in terms of fine graining
access/policies in the firewall, it is easier to allow access for
VPN-users to DNS/WINS server, access to specific hosts, etc.

Glad to help,

Lars