[vpn-help] Fwd: Internet connection dies after some minutes of heavy download traffic

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Wed May 26 00:12:13 CDT 2010

On 5/21/2010 4:20 PM, wosgien at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
>
> I followed your instructions, and this time, after the error occurred, I
> waited 5 minutes, but still no minidump was created.

How very strange. Since driver verifier didn't hit any bug checks, I
spent some more time trying to reproduce this issue without any luck.
First I sent gobs of fragmented packets through the filter driver and
then sent gobs of bit torrent traffic through the filter driver. No
issues whatsoever. Unfortunately, we are down to a brute force process
of elimination to figure out where this problem is.

When the VPN client is inactive, the filter does almost nothing in the
NDIS send and receive paths. These three builds incrementally disable
what little code is being executed. It is important that you try all
three and let me know if the issue is reproducible with each. With any
luck, we will only have to try a few more before we find a fix.

NOTE: The VPN client will not function properly with any of these builds
installed. They are only intended for driver testing.

http://www.shrew.net/download/vpn/vpn-client-2.1.6-lwf-1.exe
http://www.shrew.net/download/vpn/vpn-client-2.1.6-lwf-2.exe
http://www.shrew.net/download/vpn/vpn-client-2.1.6-lwf-3.exe