[vpn-help] Problem with Netscreen 5GT with PSK & XAUTH - only one user can connect at a time

Laurence Neville laurenceneville at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 17 05:35:30 CST 2010

I have successfully set up a VPN connection to our Netscreen
5GT using Shrew 2.1.7. The client & firewall setup is basically this:

·
Single generic phase 1 and phase 2 configuration
including the same Pre-Shared Key (hidden), same local identifier (fully
qualified domain name), same remote identifier (fully qualified domain name)

·
Multiple XAUTH usernames & passwords

The client is used on 2 PCs with identical configs except
for the XAUTH username & password.  The
problem is that if one is connected and the other attempts to connect, the
first is disconnected with the message "session terminated by
gateway". Likewise, if the first user then tries to reconnect then the
second user is disconnected. So, it looks like only one user can be connected
at any time.

Is this a known problem with this kind of configuration? I
chose this config because I was unable to get the client to connect at all when
each PC had its own PSK and ID …..

Thanks