[vpn-help] 'Help' - DNS with PPP modem adapter and Shrew VPN client

Khoo Choon Leong cl.khoo at 3psolutions.com
Sun Nov 21 08:30:06 CST 2010

Hi,

I have setup Shrew VPN client with Juniper SSG20.

I am using a mobile broadband adapter provided by the ISP to establish an Internet connection from any location with my laptop. Upon internet connection is established, I will use the Shrew VPN client to establish a VPN Tunnel back to my office. The mobile broadband creates a PPP modem adapter under Windows Network Connections settings. The Shrew VPN uses a Virtual Adapter and is not created in Windows Network Connection. Whenever I perform a name resolution on my laptop, it will use the default DNS that is automatic assigned by the PPP modem adapter instead of using the DNS assign from the Shrew VPN configuration.

This is not the case when I uses an Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection to have access to internet. Upon establish a VPN connection using Shrew VPN client, the default DNS is the one assign from the Shrew VPN configuration.

It seems that PPP adapter IPconfig has higher precedent than Shrew Virtual adapter.

Regards
Choon Leong