[vpn-help] VPN was working but now broken after firewall version replacement

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Mon Nov 22 17:12:08 CST 2010

On 11/19/2010 3:28 PM, Donald Woeltje wrote:
> We purchased a pair of Sidewinder 7.x firewalls. Beginning with version 7.x,
> Secure Computing doesn't support client VPN's but using the Shrewsoft client, we
> got it working (and with extended authentication, via RADIUS component of
> Safeword 2008, so we could use OTP tokens). But 2 nights ago, over my
> objections, Sidewinder 7 was wiped out and the firewalls were rebuilt with
> Sidewinder 8. That broke our VPN capability. Are you going to add support for
> Sidewinder 8.x?
>
> Or do you have any idea why our VPN functionality would fail after going from
> Sidewinder 7 to Sidewinder 8?

Hi Donald,

All the Sidewinder howto content was provided by members of the mailing
list. I did write some additional mode config support specifically for
the Sidewinder 6 but that was made possible by Mark Jenks who did lots
and lots of testing against the device he managed. I don't even know if
that code is relevant for newer versions of the Sidewinder gateways. I'm
sorry that I can't be more help.