[vpn-help] VPN DROPS USING VERIZON VZAccess Manager

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Fri Oct 1 13:40:56 CDT 2010

On 9/29/2010 12:15 PM, Chris wrote:
> I have the same problem! has anyone solved this yet?
>
> Paul Edelbrock<PAUL at ...>  writes:
>

>> Shrew VPN client on 64bit Win7 works perfectly over my DSL circuit but when
> I am on the road and connect using my Verizon EVDO USB modem the VPN
> connection drops after 20-30 seconds.  Is there a NAT setting I need to tweak
> or some other setting?
>>
>> Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Paul and Chris,

I wish I had a magic bullet that would solve this issue for you. I can
tell you that I have two different mobile broadband adapters that I use
to test the Shrew Soft client Windows 7. The first is a Cricket device
which installs as a legacy dialup adapter. The second is an AT&T device
which is a true Windows 7 mobile broadband device. I assume the Verizon
device will act like the latter.

Most software distributed by mobile broadband providers are customized
versions of drivers and software originally developed by the OEM ( the
companies that manufacture the actual broadband devices ). These custom
modifications cause a lot of issues and in some cases actually make the
device act like legacy devices ( non-native windows 7 mobile broadband
adapters ) which is rather sad. This is all for the sake of delivering
fancy well branded user tools that do very little for the user. Windows
7 has a native management interface to interact with broadband devices.
They just show up as mobile broadband connections, similar to the way
wireless networks appear under your system tray network icon. You just
click on the icon, select the broadband provider network and select connect.

To resolve this issue with my AT&T device, I had to uninstall the AT&T
software and install the reference software distributed by the original
equipment manufacturer. There have been several reports of other users
on this mailing list that have done the same thing to resolve similar
issues with devices from other broadband providers. In some cases, the
software from the OEM was newer and fixed underlying issues. In other
cases, the broadband provider software was just plain broken. Depending
on how adventurous you are, you may try to do the same.