[vpn-help] 2.1.7 with Linksys RV082 VPN router

Robert K. Johnson rj.rkjohnson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 21:59:13 CDT 2010

We have been looking for a QuickVPN alternative and recently came across the
Shrew VPN client.  We are using ver 2.1.7 of the client.  The router has the
latest firmware release.  We followed the Linksys configuration guide on the
Shrew support page for configuration.  Are there any known issues in getting
the VPN connections to work reliably with this router?  The connections work
well most of the time, but we occasionally have a problem where the router
and client seem to get out of sync.  For example, we may click disconnect
from the client, the client thinks it has successfully disconnected but the
router still shows the client connected.  We cannot successfully reconnect
until we manually go into the router and disconnect the user.  Another
example, the default config has the SA's renegotiated every hour.
Occasionally the renegotiation fails and the VPN connection is lost and
cannot be re-established.  This has happened while I am at a remote site so
I cannot login to the router and see what its status is.  Please let me know
if these are known issues and if there are any work arounds.