[vpn-help] Netgear FVS318

kpickard at simplyc.com kpickard at simplyc.com
Tue Oct 26 09:06:59 CDT 2010

     Hello. Does anyone know if the Shrew client will work with the Netgear FVS318 router?

     I have scanned the archives and I have found references to the FVG318 but nothing specific about the FVS318. I have seen references
to needing Mode and Xauth enabled to get the FVS318 to work but neither of those options exist on the FVS318 (that I can find). So I
think those people are confusing the FVS318 with another model.

     Has anyone been able to get the Netgear FVS318 (V1 hardware running V2.4 firmware) to work with the Shrew client?

     My initial attempts at trying various configurations have only resulted in security warnings on my FVS318 indicating that UDP
packets (from the Shrew Client) are being tossed because they contain 'Suspicious UDP Data'. I have configured to use PSK. On the client
side, via Wireshark, I only see the ISAKMP packet being sent out (this is the one being tossed by the FVS318) at 5 second intervals. The
Shrew client itself shows "bringing up tunnel ...", then eventually followed by "negotiation timout [sic] occurred" after the ISAKMP
packet has been sent 4 times.

Doing what you love is Freedom.  | o   o | Kevin Pickard
Loving what you do is Happiness. |   ^   |  kpickard at simplyc.com