[vpn-help] Request for a new feature.

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Sun Oct 10 16:59:20 CDT 2010

On 10/8/2010 4:20 PM, Karim Fatehi wrote:
> I use the Cisco IPSEC client at work, and it has a folder within its
> install where all the "PCF" files are stored. We have batch scripts to
> copy relevant PCF files from various sources into that folder. When
> the client starts it scans that folder and automatically imports every
> file in there, so once we run the batch file (generally once a month)
> all the connections are imported and ready to go.
>
> I use shrew at home because I have a 64 bit system at home and Cisco
> has abandoned this platform. Not to mention shrew is really good
> because of its ability to reconnect easily after waking.
>
> Can you guys add a new feature, where a particular folder is scanned
> and automatically imported. This would be really useful. All we would
> have to do is edit the batch scripts to copy to that folder instead.
>
> We could do away with the dreadful cisco client if this was added.

Hi Karim,

This feature actually exists in the client, but I don't think it has
been documented. If you run "ikea.exe -import <path>", it will import
all .vpn files that exist in that path. Historically its only been used
by the installer to automatically populate a site configurations during
installation, but I suppose you could use it for your purpose as well.