[vpn-help] negotiation timout occurred - in Windows 7 64 bits

James Hatchell james.hatchell at echobroadband.com
Thu Oct 21 08:20:27 CDT 2010

I am having a very similar problem with Windows 7 x64 Professional with the workaround below.

I have been upgrading and since the 2.1.7 RC1 the problem is fixable and reproducible.

I am using three IPSEC tunnel connections regularly to netscreen, checkpoint and cisco vpn  routers.  The problem happens the same for any of the connections and does not seem to be affected whether my parallel OpenVPN tunnels are running or not.

After running the Shrew 2.1.7 installation I can connect with no problems until I shutdown the laptop.

After a restart of Windows always the same negotiation timeout occurred for any of the tunnels.

<<

config loaded for site 'XXXXX'

configuring client settings ...

attached to key daemon ...

peer configured

iskamp proposal configured

esp proposal configured

client configured

local id configured

remote id configured

pre-shared key configured

bringing up tunnel ...

negotiation timout occurred

tunnel disabled

detached from key daemon ...

However if I rerun the installation vpn-client-2.1.7-release.exe (deinstalls, removes all services, reinstalls) then it will work perfectly again until the next restart of Windows.

<<

config loaded for site 'XXXXX'

configuring client settings ...

attached to key daemon ...

peer configured

iskamp proposal configured

esp proposal configured

client configured

local id configured

remote id configured

pre-shared key configured

bringing up tunnel ...

network device configured

tunnel enabled

Thank you so much for Shrew without which I had not been able to connect to these tunnels at all in Win7 x64, but please could you help out because to running the installer before I can connect is very frustrating.

Hopefully the above might help others with the same problem.

Cheers,

James.