[vpn-help] Can't Ping Across Tunnel in Win7

Matt Johnson kepler_76 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 6 19:11:30 CDT 2010

I have a netbook running Win7 Starter Edition and I'm trying to establish an IPSec tunnel with my Linksys RV042. I've used all the same settings from here: http://www.shrew.net/support/wiki/HowtoLinksys

Using v2.1.6 I could not establish a tunnel. The "Network" tab in the Shrew client said 'Established - 0' and my router log only showed the tunnel getting to phase 1 and then it would stall. I've upgraded to v2.1.7 beta and now it appears I can create the tunnel (Shrew client says 'Established - 1', router log shows tunnel successfully created, and the tunnel and client show up in the router's active VPN list. However, I cannot ping or access any addresses through the VPN.

If I try to ping any addresses through the tunnel and use Wireshark to monitor the tunnel interface, it shows standard arp "who has" requests but the response is always the same. Also, after the arp request there aren't any ICMP packets. Here's what's shown in my arp cache:
C:\>arp -a
Interface: 192.168.x.1 --- 0x10
  Internet Address      Physical Address      Type
  192.168.y.1          bb-bb-bb-bb-bb-00     dynamic
  192.168.y.10         bb-bb-bb-bb-bb-00     dynamic
  192.168.y.100        bb-bb-bb-bb-bb-00     dynamic
  .
  .

Is this behavior correct or is something not setup correctly?

Thanks,
Matt