[vpn-help] Can't ping some IP addresses behind VPN

mikelupo at aol.com mikelupo at aol.com
Mon Sep 6 06:48:15 CDT 2010

Hi, Thanks for the reply.
This makes very good sense for the windows machines behind the VPN, but the thrust of my work is to enable a VPN user to monitor a DVR video security system.
It's a hardware device with no firewall software at all on it.

What I've learned since my original post is that the results are inconsistent. Sometimes when I connect, I can get to the device (ping, browser, etc), other times, I cannot ...Yet the device is still pingable via the Diagnostics page on the VPN Web Console. When I can ping it from my remote location, I can connect to it and view the cameras. When I cannot ping it, I cannot connect to it....confirming that when no ping...no other services available.
When I can't get to the device, I look to see if I still have my SA's. And yes I do. So this is a bewildering problem....sigh.

Suspicions:
Netgear came out with a new firmware in August. ..so maybe I'll try putting that into the device today.
My other slightly suspicious thing is the Shrewnet client as I've begun using the 2.1.7 beta for a few days now..

Regards,
Mike