[vpn-help] multiple connections

Scott Zech scottzech at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 17 08:32:50 CDT 2010

Hello to all and thanks in advance for your help.
Relative newbie to shrew and vpn's in general.

Here's The issue I'm facing.

I have a pfsense firewall running ipsec - preshare key setup

I have 4 remote users using shrew client release 2.1.6 on windows xp workstations.

2 of the users are at individual remote sites. Client is configured with ufqdn and ip address is set using virtual adapter and specify the settings (i.e. 192.168.200.1 nm 255.255.255.0)  The use a soft phone device and use a phone at home. Works GREAT. Figured out how to autostart the client on startup and they are thrilled. (donation coming for the shrew client BTW :))

Here's the issue. The other 2 users are at a remote location that they share. They are both behind a junker linksys natting router sharing a single public ip address. I configured both users shrew client as I did the others with unique identifiers, key, etc.
When I connect the first user, works great, pings successful.
When I connect the second user, works great, pings successful, but it causes some type of packet loss on the first user, until I disconnect/reconnect. Then the first user works again, but the second is disconnected. Rinse/Repeat.

After looking at the logs, it appears that racoon on the pfsense side is getting confused because it sees the remote public ip address of that linksys router and doesn't see that there are multiple tunnels trying to be established.

Any ideas on resolution?

thanks,
Scott
612.598.1505 if you can talk, or email. thanks again.