[vpn-help] VPN Client for Windows - Bug Report

kevin vpn kvpn at live.com
Wed Apr 27 22:15:51 CDT 2011

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 12:01:04 -0400
Mark Schaffer <mark.schaffer at sei.aero> wrote:

> Problem:
>
> The VPN client fails to connect to my gateway. Based on the log
> information it appears the client is not receiving a response to
> phase 1 packets.
>
> I do not have a problem establishing the VPN connection from other
> remote computers.

Hi Mark,

You really haven't provided much information about what is different
between the troublesome computer and the ones that work.

If phase1 replies are not received, a likely cause could be that port
500 is blocked between the computer and the gateway. Alternatively,
for some reason the gateway does not like the 'local identity' provided
by that computer.  The local identity provided by Shrew is often the
local computer IP address, so perhaps there's a conflict with that
(overlapping private address ranges for instance).