[vpn-help] Connecting via ShrewSoft VPN client means no LAN internet access (Windows 7 64 bit) - any advice please?

kevin vpn kvpn at live.com
Wed Apr 27 22:35:37 CDT 2011

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 13:03:01 +0100 (BST)
Daniel Humphreys <dan_humphreys at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> The problem is that when I am connected to the customer network using
> the VPN client application (and after a few minutes) I lose my
> internet and LAN connection.  I can only presume that this is
> because, by default the ShrewSoft VPN client application
> automatically tunnels all traffic through the VPN connection.  I know
> there is an option to switch off the "Tunnel All" option on the
> Policy tab of the application and enter a Remote Network Resource (to
> "Include" or "Exclude") as "Address" and "Netmask" IP addresses
> however I am not sure what I need to enter here.
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : ***.***
> Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::8de3:9dbe:393a:33ba%11
> IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 150.237.13.17

Hi Dan,

Tunnel All is what is preventing you from accessing the Internet and
your Local LAN.

Unfortunately, you may not have a choice to not tunnel all, as it
depends on what your customer's gateway is expecting.  If the gateway
is expecting you to connect with a remote network of 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
(which is tunnel all), then it will not let you connect with something
different.  Since you can connect successfully, I would suggest that
this is in fact what the customer's gateway is configured for.

To maintain local lan access while connected, you can change your Shrew
config.  Unselect Tunnel All, then add:

exclude 150.237.13.0/255.255.255.0
include 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0

I don't know a workaround for the loss of internet access, that's an
effect of routing everything to the customer's network.