[vpn-help] Debugging tunnel issues on Mac OS VPN Client

Mario Russo mrusso at roundarch.com
Mon Aug 1 15:54:44 CDT 2011

Adding some new information in case it sparks any ideas.

Recap:
>From my home network (WRT54G home router):
ShrewSoft 2.17 VPN client connects OK via a Windows 7 VM (Fusion) running on my macbook pro.
ShrewSoft 2.2 VPN client on Mac OS (Snow Leopard) receives the “session terminated by gateway” (I’ve noticed that others seem to have trouble with this when dealing with Cisco equipment.

Update:
>From the wifi network at the public library:
ShrewSoft 2.17 VPN client on Windows 7 VM connects OK.
ShrewSoft 2.2 VPN client on Mac OS connects OK!

I went to the public library for a couple hours this morning and decided to try it out from there.  And it works!
So I have no idea what kind of hardware / network structure they’re running, but I could successfully connect and access internal machines.

Now that I’m back home I’ve tried several times again with the same results: “session terminated by gateway.”

Because my Windows VM can connect OK I’m tempted to think it is not a configuration issue with my home router.  But, at the advice of another post in the archive I explicitly opened up ports 500,4500 for TCP/UDP on my home router. Still no luck.

Thanks for reading,
Mario

________________________________
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 15:24:42 -0500
To: "vpn-help at lists.shrew.net" <vpn-help at lists.shrew.net>
Subject: [vpn-help] Debugging tunnel issues on Mac OS VPN Client

Hello,
I’ve been doing some testing of the Mac VPN client following a few posts in the archives. I believe I installed the stack correctly, but I’m running into issues establishing & maintaining a tunnel.

Background:
I just started working with a client that uses the Shrew VPN client on windows machines with a Cisco solution. To test connectivity I installed the Shrew windows client (2.1.7) on a Windows 7 VM and I’m able to connect & authenticate using the .PCF file they provided.

The problem is that most members of my development team (including myself) use Macs. After installing the stack on my Mac and attempting to connect, the session is terminated by the gateway after about 30 seconds.  During the ~30 seconds it appears that I’m connected (I get the confirmation / help desk message from the host), but I’m not able to ping any resources on the network.

I noticed that the VPN trace utility isn’t available in the Mac version, so I’m not sure how much extra information I can provide. The trace from the Access Manager is included below.

If anyone has any insight about how to proceed I’d love to hear it.

Thanks for your time,
Mario

Platform:
Mac OX 10.6.7