[vpn-help] 'gateway is not responding' problem with VPN client

KrishnaMohan Bandi krishnamohan.bandi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 09:04:31 CDT 2011

Hello all,

 Problem:

The VPN client fails to connect to my gateway.
After clicking connect, the client reports the tunnel is
enabled and it stays on for ~15-20 seconds and shows
*'gateway is not responding'* message before disabling the tunnel.
When it says the tunnel is enabled, I do not see any Security
Association (SAs) Established/Expired/Failed under the Network tab.
Another most annoying thing is, the same client configuration works
on windows. I do not understand what is that Windows OS does to get
the tunnel established and missing from Linux OS. On both Windows
and Linux, the firewall is disabled.

To Reproduce:

Connect to any Digi Transport DR64 VPN Gateway.

VPN Client Version = 2.1.7 release
Unix OS Version = Ubuntu 10.04 LTS; kernel: 2.6.32-31-generic
Gateway Make/Model = Digi Transport DR64
Gateway OS Version = Not known

ikedebug-31082011.tgz [attachment]

Any help on this is highly appreciated. Thanks for your time in advance.

Regards,
KM