[vpn-help] Help using NetGear FSV318v3

Russ Fling rfling at estand.com
Thu Feb 3 18:01:03 CST 2011

I am having problems connecting to the NetGear FSV318v3.

NetGear FSV318v3 firmware 0_28 (latest)
Shrew client versions 2.1.7 and 2.2.0 beta 1
Client OS Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
  (I've also tried Ubuntu and Mac clients, same issue)

NetGear LAN 192.168.8.0/24
NetGear WAN connected directly to internet at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (obscured
for now)
Windows client LAN 192.168.3.0/24
   client has a DCHP address of 192.168.3.139

The Shrew FAQ's deal with the 338 not the 318 which has a different
interface for users.  I am not using the XAuth feature at this time,
just Mutual PSK.

In Policy tab, Policy Generation Level is auto, 192.168.8.0 /
255.255.255.0 has been added to topology.  Maintain Persistent Security
Associations is check (but also tried unchecked).

When connecting, the tunnel is enabled but security associations fail
10-20 seconds later.

iked.log contains the following lines when it fails.
 ii : fragmented packet to 1514 bytes ( MTU 1500 bytes )
 ii : fragmented packet to 70 bytes ( MTU 1500 bytes )
 -> : resend 1 phase2 packet(s) [2/2] 192.168.3.139:500 ->
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:500
 ii : resend limit exceeded for phase2 exchange

Different Phase 1 settings will cause it to fail sooner so I think these
and Authentication settings are OK.  Phase 2 settings seem to have no
effect (but I think they are configured properly) and it appears that
the 318 is not responding to  phase2 requests (or they are being blocked
somewhere).

Is is a packet fragmentation issue?
Firewall issue?
I saw on some blog that the 338 may need WAN ping enabled, this is
currently off.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.