[vpn-help] VPN Tunnel disconnected by gateway after successful authentication

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Sun Feb 6 11:34:01 CST 2011

On 1/28/2011 5:45 PM, Brian Harmer wrote:
> Don wrote:
>> I am hoping the community can help me with this.
>
>> I am using a Windows 7 64bit OS on my laptop and have used the NCP
>> applcation (trial) in the successfully in the past. However, with
>> Shrew's client, I can authenticate, but right after the
>> splashscreen that tells me to behave myself on he corporate
>> network, I get a disconnect by gateway. I have no idea what is
>> happening that the gateway disconnects me after an appearent
>> successful negotiation and authentication. Anyone seen this before
>> and have any ideas?
>

>> bringing up tunnel ... network device configured tunnel enabled
>> session terminated by gateway tunnel disabled detached from key
>> daemon ...
>
> I have a similiar experience. I can add to that the fact that in the
> box which shrinks to the task bar on the "apparently" successful
> connection, there are two tabs, one labelled connect, and the other
> labelled network. If I watch the newtork tab while the system is
> thinking about finally connecting, I can see that the client tells me
> that security associations failed .... 9 times  ... is that 9
> associations or 9 tries? As a VPN novice despearate to connect, I
> have no idea what this means. Any insights gratefully received.

This is the typical result when the VPN client connects to a Cisco
gateway and phase2 negotiation is failing for some reason. Check the log
output on both the client and gateway to find clues as to what the issue
could be. You will likely need to modify either a phase2 tab or a policy
tab parameter in your site configuration.