[vpn-help] Change default gateway...and other problems

Fabio Cigoj fcigoj at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 08:33:18 CST 2011

I have completed configuring the VPN thanks to Matthew, who pointed out
to me the config errors I couldn't spot myself, but I am still having
two issues.

1. I cannot seem to connect through the VPN to the NAS attached to my
home network in the same way I do when I am home, in that any connection
attempt times out without any error message. The connection normally
uses CIFS, and it works like a charm when I am directly connected to the
home network.

2. I tried to change the default gateway, so that I accessed Internet
through the router on the remote end of the VPN, but when I try to
change the default gateway of tap0, which is the VPN virtual adapter I
get this error message :

SIOCADDRT: No such process

I have basically created a route to the routable address of my home
network so that the VPN control packets went to the right address,
changed the default gw of the VPN tunnel to be the same as the gw of the
remote router and deleted the original default gw on the client side.
Obviously deleting the default gateway on the client side makes the
network inoperable, since the creation of the new default gateway has
failed.

Any ideas anybody ?