[vpn-help] ShrewSoft 2.1.7 and 2.2.0 Issue

kevin vpn klmlk at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 25 22:24:21 CST 2011

Hi Darren,

You are correct that it is getting hung up early on.  However, there is
not enough information in the iked.log file to know why.  What we can
see is that Shrew is not getting a response from the gateway.

Since the gateway will not respond to a peer that it does not
recognize, I think the problem may be there.  In the case of the howto,
it is expecting to be contacted by a client identifying itself as
'client.shrew.net'.

I would first double-check that on the gateway, you've got the IKE
User, Local Group and the Dialup User Group all setup correctly and
that in Shrew, you've got Local Identity setup so that they all match.
In Shrew, you should be using UFQDN and the UFQDN String should match
exactly the IKE Identity field in the user you created on the gateway.
Based on your iked.log, the gateway user's IKE Identity field should
contain 'client.jkdesign.com'.

If that is correct, the easiest way to troubleshoot this would be to
get the event log from the VPN gateway, it will have messages
explaining why it ignored the Phase1 request from Shrew.

Use the search function in the event log to look for your client's
public IP address.  The first message in the sequence should have
something like "begin aggressive negotiation".

If nothing shows up in the event log, then I would look to see if port
500 is allowed in from the Internet to the VPN gateway IP address.  It
could be the request is being silently dropped by a deny policy.