[vpn-help] Windows 7 Connection Successful but no traffic passing through VPN Tunnel

kevin vpn klmlk at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 27 06:34:37 CST 2011

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 14:11:26 +0800
"Brown, Kevin (RTHQ)" <Kevin.Brown at riotinto.com> wrote:

> less, I have been successful in creating the connection and it
> creates / established the tunnel ok.
>
> The problem I have, is that the traffic does not pass through to the
> remote network over the VPN tunnel.  If I ping a device or try to VNC
> to a remote computer, it fails.  I have specified the remote network
> subnet in the policy tab.

Hi Kevin,

I would first check to see if Phase2 security associations are being
setup properly.  Even though Phase2 negotiations complete and "Tunnel
enabled" appears in the Shrew Connect dialog, it is possible that that
SAs are failing.  You can see the SA status using the VPN Trace utility
on the Security Associations tab. This page provides steps to start
logging using the Trace utility (remember to right-click and Run As
Administrator in Vista/Win7):
http://www.shrew.net/support/wiki/BugReportVpnWindows

What you should see are two "MATURE" SAs setup shortly after you
initiate traffic (for instance ping) toward the remote network.

If you see them repeatedly going into LARVAL state, it means that
something isn't quite matched up with your Shrew policy and the gateway
policy.