[vpn-help] 'vflt device attach failed' on XP Pro SP3

Chris Thomas yahoonews at mediumcool.f2s.com
Wed Jun 15 04:33:23 CDT 2011

Hi,

I'm having no luck trying to get ShrewSoft VPN to work under Windows XP
Pro SP3 on my Lenovo T61 Laptop.

I've tried installing 2.1.6, 2.1.7 and 2.2.0 beta-1 and apparently get
the same problem with all three - the client reports 'network unavailable'.

I've done a bit of debugging on 2.1.7:

- in iked.log there are multiple 'vflt device attach failed' messages.

- ServiWin reports a device driver named 'pflt' loaded from
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\vfilter.sys  There appears to be no driver
named 'vflt' loaded.

- Device Manager shows an error for 'Shrew Soft Miniport Filter #2':
'Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may
be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)'

Additionally, the install/uninstall process frequently hangs around the
drvcfg / netcfg stage. Sometimes the only fix is to power off the system.

The system has never had another VPN client installed, but I have
configured a couple of VPNs under Windows 'Network Connections'

Chris

Chris Thomas					        Medium Cool Ltd

IT Security.........   UNIX Systems..........       .........MediumCool

"The difference between theory and practice is much bigger in practice
than it is in theory."