[vpn-help] vpn 2.1.7. on Win7-64bit only works on fresh install after reboot no return ike message is received

Josef Hanousek josef.hanousek at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 08:55:08 CDT 2011

Matthew Grooms <mgrooms at ...> writes:

> On 1/12/2011 8:17 AM, Roving Gecko wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have installed version 2.1.7 on windows 7 64-bit.
> > Right after the install, before I reboot the laptop, the application
> > works just fine and allows me to connect to a cisco pix gateway.
> > However, as soon as I reboot my laptop the application stops functioning.
> > I get a 'negotiation timout occurred' in the client.
> > When I log the application right after install and after reboot I get:
> > Any suggestions? I've reinstalled it a couple times, went through all
> > the suggested extra cleanup before a new install, disabled all
> > firewalls, etc. Searched the mailing list. All to no avail.
>
> I just added this to the FAQ. Its been answered lots of time on the list
> but here it is again ...
>
> Q. After installing the client I can connect. But after I reboot,
> connections time out
>
> A. If you are using a Wireless Adapter on Windows 7 and using client
> version 2.1.7 or earlier, this problem is related to the presence of a
> Microsoft Virtual Wifi Adapter. Disabling the adapter in the Network
> Connections dialog will allow the VPN client to connect properly. Client
> version 2.2.0 has a fix for this issue in the kernel driver and does not
> require the Virtual Wifi adapter to be disabled.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> -Matthew

Hello,

I payed one day time to solve something similar, so I add my experience to help
somebody else ;-).

I got timeout message and practicaly the same log as mentioned in this task.
However problem was not solved with 2.2.0 Beta. Still the same. I also had some
variants running (CISCO client worked fine, and Shrew VPN worked through GPRS
mobile internet, but LAN and WiFi was still timing out.)

Finally I found, that disabling all VMware Network adapters allowed me connect
to VPN gateway. So if you have VMware player installed on your Win7 64bit, that
could cause problems with VPN client.

Have a nice day,

Josef