[vpn-help] Can't connect to Samba share

kevin vpn kvpn at live.com
Thu Jun 16 20:32:57 CDT 2011

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 13:14:17 -0400
"Carl J. Hilinski" <chilinski at timespapers.com> wrote:

> Specifics first: Shrew 2.1.7 on Win7 (32 or 64 bit) with PCF imported
> from old Cisco client. Samba server destination: Redhat 8 with samba
> 2.2.5 (yes, it’s old and that’s probably most of the problem).

> When Shrew is used, there is no indication in the Samba logs that an
> attempt was made to connect to the share. On the client, you put in
> \\xx.xx.xx.xx\share in the Computer window and after about 20
> seconds, the message is given that the server\share cannot be
> contacted (check spelling of name, etc.). If you attempt to map a
> network drive to it, you get a username/password dialog but it
> doesn’t matter what you put in there.
>
> Why would the Cisco client work but the Shrew one does not? What am I
> missing?

Hi Carl,

This is a shot in the dark, but I would wonder if perhaps the problem
is related to broadcast traffic.  Older versions of the SMB protocol
relied on broadcast for resource discovery.  Windows 7 doesn't but
perhaps some combination of Win7 and the older Samba does...

Does your Shrew config have "Tunnel All" enabled in the policy tab?
Perhaps trying that will change something?