[vpn-help] Help with "Session terminated by Gateway problem" with Shrew Soft VPN client 2.1.7 needed

kevin vpn kvpn at live.com
Thu Jun 23 20:42:09 CDT 2011

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 15:27:18 +0100
KrishnaMohan Bandi <krishnamohan.bandi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
>    Thanks for your reply. I have tried changing the configurations,
> but I am still getting the same issue. I am sending an updated log if
> that helps. I wanted to know one more thing from the configuration
> point of view if my environment set up is correct.
>
> I have a Sierra 3G Wireless modem connected to the Ubuntu PC. It has
> got 10.2.xx.xx IP address with netmask 255.255.255.255. On remote
> side, I have a Sarian 3G router with internet gateway 10.3.xx.xx and
> 192.168.254.254 gateway (on the other side) with subnet mask
> 255.255.255.255.

Hi Krishnamohan,

I'm not an expert at reading the iked.log files, but I think you are
getting further than you were before.  The log entries below suggest to
me that you may just have the Phase2 settings not quite correct:

11/06/23 14:14:38 ii : phase1 sa established
11/06/23 14:14:38 ii : calling init phase2 for initial policy
11/06/23 14:14:38 ii : received peer NO-PROPOSAL-CHOSEN notification

Unfortunately, the iked.log does not tell us what settings the VPN
gateway is looking for. If you have access to the VPN router, check the
Phase2 settings that are defined for the VPN and tune the Shrew site
configuration to match.  If you're not the adminstrator, contact them
and ask what settings are required.

Regarding your setup, the IP ranges seem fine, none of the overlap
which is often a problem.  The  question at this point is the VPN
gateway configuration, how it is setup and what parameters it expects.